Have you ever wondered if your smile could be brighter? Have you considered teeth whitening, but just aren’t sure if it’s appropriate for you? People are born with different shades of teeth, but over time, other factors can affect the color of the enamel. The color of your teeth may have changed due to the following:
- Pigment-rich food and beverages such as cola, wine, juice, berries, candy, and ketchup are just several examples of foods that may darken your teeth.
- Cigarette smoking and chewing tobacco are known to cause yellowing of teeth.
- Certain medications can result in tooth darkening. These offenders include some antibiotics, high blood pressures medicines, antipsychotic drugs and certain antihistamines.
- Chemotherapy or radiation treatments can cause teeth to change colors.
- Enamel wears away as you age, and teeth acquire a build-up of tartar and stains that darken your teeth.
- Excessive fluoride use either from your water, fluoride supplements, toothpaste or rinses can cause teeth to yellow.
- Trauma caused by a fall or blow to the mouth can damage nerves and cause teeth to permanently brown or blacken.
- Poor oral hygiene or avoiding regular dental care can cause teeth to turn unwelcome colors.
While some of these causes may make whitening more difficult, talk to a qualified dentist in Aventura about the best option for meeting your whitening goals. The general rule of thumb is for your teeth to closely match the shade of the whites of your eyes. Teeth that are too white will look unnatural, so if you choose professional whitening, you should consult with your dental professional about how to achieve the most natural result. In cooperation with your dentist, making the decision to undergo professional teeth whitening could mean you will soon be facing the world with a brighter, whiter smile.
We treat patients from Aventura and the surrounding area